Thursday, January 14, 2010

The roots of becoming a Roadie.

Three months ago I opened an Invisible Children e-mail and “APPLY TO BE A ROADIE” stared me in the face. At that point I had been unemployed for quite awhile and I was desperately hoping for a sign, a direction, or a calling. I read about the position and it all felt right…until I saw the deadline, which was only three days away. Crap, three days to complete five essay questions and a five minute personal video. That wouldn’t be so bad if it didn’t take me an hour to write one paragraph because I am so neurotic about my writing. Oh, and did I mention that being filmed and seeing myself on film is one of the most painful experiences of my life? Ugh. With the editing help of my brilliant cousin Janae (who is going to be a big time writer one these days, you just wait), and my little brother with his cinematography skills, I sent the essays+video in just in time. Literally, I e-mailed them at 11:55 p.m. the night it was due.

So fast-forward six weeks, three phone interviews, and hundreds of prayers later, I was offered the position. I’ll never forget that day…getting off the phone semi-teary-eyed and walking to the top of the stairs, just to see my mom waiting for me at the bottom. We hugged, laughed, cried, made phone calls and I had an overwhelming feeling of validation. This is exactly what I was supposed to be doing for the next four months of my life!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Go Make a Difference!! We are all behind you and can't wait to hear all about your adventures!
Love you xoxo
Mom

Post a Comment