Monday, January 18, 2010

The office and a Soulful Sunday

Don’t be mistaken by the “frat-house-like” description, because there is no hint of frat-boy mentality! (I don’t mean to offend you frat boys, just referring to the party boy stereotype:) We had our first day in the office on Friday and it was obvious that the “work hard, play hard” attitude applies to Invisible Children. I was literally blown away by the people that work for IC. There is an insane level of commitment and work ethic from everyone on staff! Our first day of training started off with bagels and coffee (double plus), an office tour, and a welcome from the CEO, Ben Keesey (he knocked our socks off). Later on we were introduced to the IC staff and each introduction was loaded with high praises and inside jokes. They also told stories about how on more than one occasion IC staff members have pulled all-nighters in the office...I’m not kidding about these people working their tails off. They definitely set the tone in the office that they expect the same level of commitment from us. We spent 8.5 hours in the office on Friday and on Saturday. I’m totally NOT complaining, because it was oddly fantastic to be back in the work setting, even though I’m not used to an office setting.
Anyways, I’m rambling on about the first two days of work when I really just want to get to “Soul food Sunday.” This tradition originated with a past Roadie group, and it was an ingenious creation. $3 dollars each person in the house (roughly 50 + 10 other IC staff members living elsewhere) goes towards buying groceries for one heck of a southern comfort loaded meal. I’m salivating just thinking about it, even though I’m still full from eating four hours ago!! The menu was fried chicken, spicy chicken wings, mashed potatoes, fried okra, veggies, cane sauce, mac and cheese, pasta…and I’m probably forgetting some more!! Oh and did I mention that it was allllll homemade?! The best part was when we all sat down as a big, hyperactive family to eat together in the garage. First Soul food Sunday was a hit:)



A whole lot of Soul!

No comments:

Post a Comment